Rabbits in a natural habitat are completely herbivores. They browse on
grass and other greens that are available. They will also munch on
carrots and other vegetables found in our gardens. So it is not unusual
for a rabbit breeder to feed various herbs to their rabbits as a remedy
for various elements. We have on occasion used a few of these herbs with
our rabbits for various reasons. We are not veterinarians, and should you
be unsure of your rabbits health you should consult with them. Keep in
mind, any changes in rabbits diet should be small and gradual as rabbits
have a very sensitive digestive system.
The Herbs & Use
Here are a few herbs and what they are recommended for by other rabbit
breeders. These are listed in order by herb name. Check back with us
tomorrow, and well list the ailment, and the herb which breeders
- AGRIMONY - Conjunctivitis
- BIRCH - Chewing, pain relief, anti-inflammatory, diuretic.
- BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS Coat Condition
- BLACKBERRY - Used for pregnant does, summer cooling, stimulate appetite, diarrhea
- BORAGE - Laxative, milk flow of nursing does, fevers, reduce stress
- CHAMOMILE - Pain relief, calm nervous rabbit, eye wash for weepy eye
- CHICKWEED Anti-inflammatory, healing of cuts, molt
- CLEAVERS healing of cuts, laxative
- COLTSFOOT respiratory expectorant
- COMFREY - healing, bone formation, ill bunnies, stressed and weak bunnies, respiratory expectorant
- DANDELION - Blood purifying, respiratory ailments, anti-inflammatory, bladder infections, diarrhea, milk flow of nursing does
- ECHINACEA -Immune system stimulant and broad spectrum antibiotic. In the lower doses its the stimulant and in higher doses acts as an antibiotic. Anti-inflammatory with anti-viral properties
- ELDER FLOWER - respiratory expectorant, fevers
- EUCALYPTUS - dried and powdered, and sprinkled repel fleas
- EYEBRIGHT weepy eye
- FENNEL bloating & gas, milk flow of nursing does
- GARLIC - immunize against disease, antiseptic, antibiotic, bloating & gas, respiratory expectorant
- GINGER infertility in bucks
- GOATS RUE Milk flow in nursing does
- GOLDEN ROD anti-inflammatory
- GROUNDSEL laxative, molt
- KAVA KAVA - calms and extends the benefits of chiropractic adjustments.
- LAVENDER - Cardiac complaints, circulation problems, migraine, nervous stress, neurasthenia, neuralgia, exhaustion, induce labor
- LEMON BALM anti-bacterial, antiviral, bloating & gas, diarrhea, reduce stress
- LICORICE - gastric inflammation, coughs.
- LINSEED laxative, molt
- MARIGOLD - bruises, contusion & strains, slowly healing wounds, ulcers, skin diseases, digestive problems, gall bladder complaints.
- MARJORIM - coughs, inflammation of mouth, throat. Digestive problems, uterine discomfort, calm nerves
- MEADOWSWEET weepy eye
- MILK THISLTE - helps take ammonia from the blood and protects both the liver and the kidneys, milk flow in nursing does
- MINT - Firm loose stool, decrease nursing doe milk flow during weaning, mastasis
- MOTHER WART weepy eye
- NASTURTIUM - Strongly antiseptic.
- NETTLES milk flow in nursing does
- OAK - Eczema, diarrhea, hemorrhoid, pro lapse, digestive problems, bleeding of mouth & gums.
- OATS - strong teeth, nails and hair. Feed sparingly in summer though. Eczema, digestive problems, diarrhea, kidney & bladder disorders, neuralgia, rheumatic complaints. Small kits may not be able to swallow oats and may actually choke on them.
- OLEANDER - heart & circulation problems.
- OREGON GRAPE ROOT - anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial.
- PARSLEY - enriches the blood, urinary problems. Roots are used for constipation and obstruction of the intestines. Inflammation of bladder & kidneys, digestive disorders, fertility in bucks, productivity in does
- PEPPERMINT - flatulence, gall bladder complaints.
- PLANTAIN antimicrobial, antispasmodic, healing of cuts, respiratory expectorant, fevers
- PSYLLIUM - bronchitis, coughs, soothing skin application,, digestive problems, constipation.
- PURPLE CONEFLOWER - abscesses, colds chills influenza, mild burns, slowly healing wounds.
- RASPBERRY - Prevention and treatment of female ailments like retained afterbirth. Improves condition during pregnancy, ensuring speedy and strong birth. Also wonderful cure for digestive ailments including diarrhea, infertility in bucks, fevers
- RED CLOVER weepy eye
- ROSEMARY - low blood pressure, weakness & exhaustion, circulatory problems, nervousness, indigestion. rheumatic & neuralgic complaints, antidepressant
- SAGE dried and powdered, and sprinkled repel fleas, dry up does whos kits have been weaned
- SASSAFRASS - dried and powdered, and sprinkled repel fleas
- SCOTCH PINE - bronchitis, sinusitis, neuralgia, rheumatism.
- SHEPHERDS PURSE - uterine disorders & hemorrhage, diarrhea
- SMOOTH-LEAF ELM hemorrhage, hemorrhoid, mouth & throat inflammation, slowly healing wounds
- SORREL -another neuralgia herb. Very cooling and soothing, it is a much cherished treat in the summer.
- ST. JOHNS WORT - neuralgia & rheumatic complaints, gastritis, climacteric complaints, uterine disorders, stress & nerves (long term dosage needed - 1 month at least)
- STRAWBERRY - Whole plant is antiseptic and cooling. Leaves are rich in iron and are supposed to prevent miscarriage. Externally used for inflamed areas, rashes and sore eyes.
- THYME - diarrhea
- UVA URSI - diuretic and urinary antiseptic that is recommended for urinary tract infections and kidney problems.
- WALNUT LEAVES weepy eye
- WILLOW - intestinal inflammation.
- YARROW Cut healing