So you're thinking about a rabbit, but you dont know any facts about
rabbits. Well here are some simple facts about rabbits to help you. We have
listed 40 but if you know of other rabbit facts be sure to add a comment to
Rabbit Facts - 40 Interesting Facts About Rabbits
- Rabbits are not rodents, they are lagomorphs.
- A male rabbit is a buck.
- A female rabbit is a doe.
- A baby rabbit is a kit.
- When the doe gives birth her babies are collectively refered to as a
- The gestation period for a rabbit averages 31 days.
- A rabbits teeth never stop growing.
- The American Rabbit Breeders Association has 45 recognized breeds of
- The ARBA has over 30,000 members
- Rabbits can be litter trained
- A pet rabbit can live as long as 10 years
- Bunnies get weaned at about 8 weeks old
- Adult bunnies can weigh between 2 lbs - 20 lbs depending on breed
- Rabbits can purr similar to a cat
- Domesticated rabbits are born without fur
- Domesticated rabbits eyes do not open until they are about 2 weeks old
- Rabbits cannot vomit
- Rabbits need hay to assist the digestive system and prevent fur balls
in their stomach
- A group of rabbits is called a herd
- A group of rabbits live in a warren
- Mothers typically only feed their kits about 5 minutes a day
- Rabbit meat is lower in fat, cholesterol and calories than chicken,
pork and beef
- Rabbit meat is all white meat
- Rabbit droppings make an excellent garden fertilizer
- Rabbits have 28 teeth
- A 4 pound rabbit will drink as much water as a 20 pound dog
- Bunnies love to chew
- Rabbits do not hibernate
- Rabbits can jump 36″ and higher
- Rabbits can suffer heat stroke
- Rabbits can see behind them, but have blind spot in front of their
- When rabbits are happy, they will jump and twist, this is called a
- Rabbits can start breeding as early as 3-4 months of age
- Predators can literally scare a rabbit to death
- Does will pull fur when pregnant to assist in the building of their
- Rabbits can have false pregnancies
- Rabbits groom themselves
- Domestic rabbits cannot breed with wild rabbits
- The only place a rabbit sweats is through the pads on its feet
- Rabbits eat their own night droppings called cecotropes
Rabbit Facts - Conclusion
So now you have learned a few facts about rabbits. Rabbits are an enjoyable
pet, and also fun to breed.
Three Little Ladies